(This is the second part of our two-part series on childhood allergy remedies–click here for part one.)
Part one of this series on childhood allergies sets forth a wide variety of suggested home care remedies, under conventional medicine, for the treatment of your child’s allergy health issues. We, your favorite Denver pediatrician, don’t just practice conventional medicine. Instead, we are an integrative pediatrician practicing both Western medicine and holistic medicine. To that end, Part Two of this blog series provides suggestions for the treatment of childhood allergies using a holistic approach under complementary and alternative medicine:
Aromatherapy Using Essential Oils
- We suggest adding 2 drops of eucalyptus radiate and 2 drops of lavender to 1 to 2 teaspoons of olive oil. Rub the mixture on your child’s chest to soothe a cough or congestion from hay fever.
- A bath or massage with eucalyptus radiata and/or lavender can soothe and relax your child and soothe a cough or congestion from hay fever. Add 2 to 5 drops of the oil to a warm bath and allow your child to soak for a comfortable amount of time.
Aromatherapy is very safe for infants and children, provided the essential oil used is “therapeutic grade.” Information regarding the grade should be available where you purchase the oils.
- Valerian root is a mild herbal sedative that may offer some help if your child is experiencing significant restlessness or itching. Valerian root (such as Herbs for Kids–Valerian Super Calm) may be most useful at bedtime. For dosing, please accurately follow the package labeling.
- A homeopathic remedy (such as BHI Allergy), designed to minimize the impact of allergies from any cause, may be helpful with both seasonal and perennial allergies. It can be taken 2 to 6 times daily for allergy symptoms.
- A homeopathic remedy nose spray (such as BHI Hayfever Nasal Spray or Heel Luffeel Nasal Spray) is designed to minimize the runny nose and congestion associated with allergies. It can be taken 2 to 4 times a day for allergy symptoms.
- A homeopathic remedy (such as Heel Apis-Homaccord or Apis 6X potency), designed to relieve red, itching eyes and skin (especially when caused by allergic reactions), may be helpful. It can be taken 3 to 6 times a day until the itching stops.
- A homeopathic remedy, such as Heel Euphorbium Drops or Euphorbium Sinus Relief Nasal Spray, is designed to minimize nasal congestion and mucous, especially when associated with environmental irritants. It can be taken 2 to 3 times daily while there is nasal congestion.
The mentioned homeopathic remedies can be found in most health food stores or they can easily be purchased on the internet.
Bach Flower Remedies
- Rescue Remedy may be used if your child is uncomfortable from allergy symptoms, stress or anxiety. Use 2 drops every 10 minutes to every few hours, as needed, to calm restlessness.
- A lukewarm bath, with 10 drops of Rescue Remedy added to the bathwater, can be effective to relieve agitation and stress in general.
Nutritionals and Supplements
- Vitamin C may be of use to generally support and enhance your child’s health, including coping with allergy symptoms.
Please refer to part one of this blog series for a reminder of when to call us, your integrative pediatrician providing quality pediatric care, if your child’s allergy symptoms do not improve or if they worsen. It bears repeating here that you should call 911 if your child seems to be having an anaphylactic reaction characterized by wheezing, increased work of breathing, color changes, swelling of the throat and extreme agitation. This would be an emergency requiring immediate medical care!
Consistent with our commitment to providing high quality pediatric care, we recommend that childhood allergies be addressed as part of a mind, body and spirit approach to integrative care. We look forward to hearing from you, our valued patients and parents in our pediatric practice, with any questions you may have or if you have concerns regarding your child’s health that you believe need to be addressed. We are honored to be an integral part of your child’s health care!