(This is the second part of our two-part series on flu remedies – click here for part 1)
Influenza is the worst. Whether you’ve got it or your child does, it’s not exactly a fun experience. And this time of year, it’s everywhere. Colorado is actually one of the worst-hit states in the country for flu this season, and there have already been two tragic deaths of Colorado children under 18 so far. As providers of pediatric care to the Metro Denver area, we hate to see the flu wreaking havoc on families’ lives and filling up our medical records and patient reports. Here are some additional remedies and medical advice for preventing and combatting the flu and maintaining your child’s health.
- It is best to avoid all dairy products and citrus fruits because they may increase or thicken respiratory mucus. Vitamin C is great, but citrus fruits can be a double-edged sword in this regard.
- Reduce or eliminate fried and fatty foods and sugar-sweetened foods from your child’s diet. Most kids love fried foods and sweet treats (adults, too), but they don’t help anybody when the flu is doing its thing.
- Eliminate caffeine intake. Kids love soda, but it doesn’t help matters here.
- Warm foods such as soups, warm cooked grains (like oatmeal and porridge) and teas are soothing and helpful. Chicken noodle soup is a classic for a reason!
- Don’t force food if your child doesn’t feel hungry. Instead, make sure he or she continues to drink lots of fluids (water is best) to ensure good hydration. The following guidelines are a good rule of thumb for water intake:
- For 2-5 year olds, 12-18 ounces per day
- For 5-12 year olds, 18-24 ounces per day
- For 13-18 year olds, 32-48 ounces per day
Vitamins & Supplements
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin C
Bach Flower Remedies
The original Bach Flower Remedies is a safe and natural method of healing discovered by Dr. Edward Bach around a century ago in England. They gently restore the balance between mind and body by calming the sufferer and allowing their body to heal itself more effectively. They are made from wild flowers and are completely natural and safe for the entire family – including pets! Here are a couple of great ways to use Bach Flower Remedies when your child has the flu:
- Rescue Remedy™ may be useful if your child is feeling uncomfortable, stressed or anxious from his or her flu symptoms. You may use 2 drops every 10 minutes to every few hours to calm restlessness as needed.
- Ten drops of Rescue Remedy™ added to a lukewarm bath is often very effective at relieving many of the flu’s nasty symptoms.
Homeopathy, or Homeopathic Medicine, is the practice of medicine that embraces a holistic, natural approach to the treatment of the sick. Homeopathy is holistic because it treats the person as a whole, rather than focusing on a diseased part or a labeled sickness. Homeopathy is natural because its remedies are produced according to the U.S. FDA-recognized Homeopathic Pharmacopoeia of the United States from natural sources, whether vegetable, mineral, or animal in nature.
- A homeopathic remedy designed to support the defense system in viral infections (such as ReBoost Immune), may prove very useful. It can be taken 3-6 times daily when the virus is active (for instance, if your child still has a fever, is feeling lethargic, etc.).
- A homeopathic remedy designed to relieve some of the discomforts associated with infections (for example, fever, body aches, chills and fatigue) may be useful, as well. As before, it can be taken 3-6 times daily when the virus is active.
- Homeopathic remedies designed to minimize nasal congestion and mucus – especially when associated with respiratory infections – can be very effective. It can be taken 2-3 times daily while there is nasal congestion. Check out ReBoost Decongestant.
Without proper diagnosis or treatment, we can’t tell you whether your child has the flu, but these remedies will also work on a bad cold. There are lots of Denver pediatricians, but as Denver’s first integrative pediatric practice, we have over 4 decades of experience with combining traditional western medicine and holistic approaches to help you raise naturally healthy kids who are flourishing and happy. If you’re concerned your child has the flu – or would like to help prevent your child from getting this nasty illness – please come see us so we can make this winter a little easier on you. If you’re in doubt, call us!